Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Peeve of the Day: People Giving Up Too Easy

Now, this peeve is two-fold. It means the people who are too lazy and want the answer three days ago and can't find it immediately themselves, so they come ask us, and then have the gall to be annoyed that we also have to take the time to look for it. It's called -research- for a reason.

And then there are simply the people who... just... give up too easy. I had a call today.

Lady: I'm doing a fund raiser in the area and I'm wondering what the biggest church is. Do you happen to (magically) know which one it is?
Me: Uhm... No. I do not. However, I can look.
Lady: So you don't know which church is the biggest church?
Me: Not off the top of my head, No.
*Co-worker notices the conversation and starts making arm motions at me - wondering if they mean physically the largest, or with the most people who attend it*
Lady: So do you live in Somewhere, Someplace, or what? How can you not know which church is the biggest?
Me: Actually, I don't live here where I work. I live a couple towns over. *Having finally deciphered arm gestures from my co-worker* Are you looking for the largest church in the sense of the largest physical building, or the largest amount of people attending?
Lady: So you don't live there?
Me: No. So are you looking for the church that is physically the largest? Or... *click, the line goes dead in the middle of my sentence*

It never ceases to startle me when people just randomly hang up on me. More so, when I'm in the middle of TRYING to help them. I hate patrons who get so hung up on my initial answer admitting I'm not an omniscient god and therefore don't bother listening to me continue to try to help them figure out the answer. For all you idiots out there that think librarians know everything? Your stupid. We don't. We just know how to find it and places to try to look for it. That is, if your willing to give us enough information to continue to do so.

No comments: