Thursday, June 11, 2009

Peeve of the Day: "I Disbelieve Your Reality!"

There are those very special people who come to the information desk, ask a question, and then choose to just disbelieve what we tell them.

Which, I suppose, they have every right to. My issue is when they just keep insisting that we are incorrect or wrong, over and over when we show them source after source of why we have the answer we have. Take for instance this encounter:

"I was told I can take a GRE test at Zee University"
"Well, let me check the locations that are GRE testing sites.... it looks like Zee University is not on that list. There are other local venues to take the test."
"I was told that Zee University offers this test."
"Well, according to the GRE offical testing website, they are not listed as a venue for the test."
"I would like to take the GRE test at Zee University, will you please let me know when the next test will be there?"
"It does not list any future testing dates for that particular venue"
"My teacher at ourlocalcollege told me that I could take my test at Zee University...."

Impressive isn't it? The blatant disregard to the reality of what is. The asking of the same question over and over as if the answer would somehow miraculously change. (I do believe that is the definition of insanity, no?) And given that Zee University is a good distance away, I haven't a clue why they were so hung-up on taking the test there and not someplace more local.

No comments: